Saturday, 7 February 2015

WHOLEWHEAT BAGELS




I started this meal plan a few days ago and I will be having bagels and burger like no man’s business. As a solution I decided to use the bagels all round. I have them for my midday snack and use them as buns for my burgers. If you are interested in it just give me a S/O and I will include it in the next update. Happy Sunday Funday
WHOLEWHEAT BAGELS
Dough
1 packet active dry yeast
1 1/3 cups warm water
3 Tbsp. sugar, divided
3,5 brown wheat flour
2 tsp. salt

Toppings
1 whole egg
1 tsp. water
Oats
(You could choose to use which ever topping from sesame seed, poppy seeds or oats)

Methods
In a small bowl combine the yeast with ¼ cup of warm water and a teaspoon of sugar. Stir to combine and allow to sit for 10 minutes until the yeast mixture foams.
In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients with the yeast mixture and the remaining water. Knead for 10 minutes and allow to rise for 2 hours. (This is your resting time but I have to say it also the time where the excitement dies down).

Knead the dough and divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each into a ball and open a whole in the middle. Allow to rise for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 220 degrees. Line the baking tray with greased parchment paper. Bring a large pot of water to a low boil. Add 1 tbsp. of sugar. Add four bagels at a time, if they sink wait for them to float. Once floating, boil the bagels for a minute on each side. Repeat until all are done.

Coat the bagels with the egg wash and sprinkle oats onto them. Bake for 15 minutes and rotate the tray and bake for another 10 minutes.

Now it’s time to enjoy! I interchange my bagels with cream cheese and cottage cheese. Add chives for a bit of flavour and a few slices of salt and peppered tomatoes. It’s the perfect snack.


COCKTAIL OF THE WEEK
MIXED BERRY SURPRISE

2 cups of frozen or fresh mixed berries
1 cup of sugar
Vodka
Sprite (club soda)

Method
Put the berries and sugar to boil in a small saucepan, make sure that during this process you do not overcook the berries into mush.
Now that you have made your syrup to make single servings:
5-6 Tbsp. of syrup
2 tots of vodka
Pop it off with sprite and garnish with mint. Add ice as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment